STUCO NEWS— December
By Ellie Coleman
December 5, 2022
STUCO has been focusing on several projects over the past month. The Turkey Thon, Diabetes Awareness, The Winter Dance, Ambassadors, a 6th grade buddy system, and a Hawaiian door decorating competition are just some of the recent projects.
* The Turkey Thon finished on November 17th and raised $4,144.25 in total. The money went to United Way to help families get food on the table for Thanksgiving.
* For Diabetes Awareness the bracelet sale raised $250 which was given to JDRF to help try to find a cure for type 1 diabetes.
* The Winter Dance will take place on December 16th. Tickets will be $10. The ticket will include a slice of pizza, chips, and a drink. A TikTok is being made and will be shared with the student body to demonstrate proper behavior at the dance.
* Microwaves are here and a TikTok is being made to show how to use the microwaves.
* There will be a winter spirit week. The Spirit week will be from December 12th-16th. First, will be Morning Monday when students may wear pajamas. Tuesday is Twinkle Tuesday where students are encouraged to wear tinsel and lights. Wednesday is Holiday Colors–6th graders wear red, 7th graders wear green, and 8th graders wear white. Thursday is Ugly Sweater Day. Friday is Holidays in Hawaii, where students can wear Hawaiian attire.
* Ambassadors have been chosen so that new students can understand their schedule and be welcomed into the school by a fellow student who can give them a hand!
* Stuco will be doing a 6th-grade buddy system. Sixth graders will be able to make friends with 7th and 8th-grade STUCO students during some lunch periods and flex. They will play games and more to get to know each other. The goal is that 6th graders will have friends in other grades who will help them when they don’t know something.
* A Hawaiian Christmas door decorating contest is currently going on as a way to promote the winter dance. The contest will be taking place from November 29th to December 13th. Winners will be announced on December 15th and prizes will be awarded, including crafts and candy canes. Eisenhower and The Junior High will be included in the contest.
Though the holidays are coming up, Stuco is still working to make the school a better place.
By Ellie Coleman
November 14, 2022
Many students are unaware of what STUCO is and how it benefits them and the whole school. STUCO stands for “student council” and is made up of student leaders whose goal is to make changes for the better of the community and school.
Recently, STUCO has been focusing on several projects, including Turkey thon, a 6th-grade buddy system, Diabetes Awareness, getting microwaves into the cafeteria, putting a stop to bullying, a November spirit week, a door decorating contest, and more.
*The Turkey Thon will be held from November 2-17. Turkey Thon is giving families who are less fortunate food for thanksgiving. The homeroom that donates the most will earn a donut party.
*The November Spirit Week will take place the week of the 14th to the 18th. The November spirit week was created mainly by STUCO member Zainab Ahmed. Monday will be Type 1 or Type2 Twin Day to support Diabetes Awareness. Students can buy a bracelet at lunch and all the money goes to JDRF, a global organization that funds diabetes research. Tuesday is Turkey Tuesday where students can make a donation to Turkey Thon and earn a PBIS ticket and get a turkey to wear and a turkey for their classroom. The classroom with the most donations will have a donut party. Wednesday is going to be Wild West vs. West Coast day. Thursday is Grief Awareness Day and students can wear blue to show support for Children’s Grief Awareness Day. One PBIS ticket will be given for each piece of blue clothing worn. Friday is “Anything But a Backpack,” where students can bring their school supplies in anything else but a backpack, like a laundry basket.
*Stuco will be doing a 6th-grade buddy system. Sixth graders will be able to make friends with 7th and 8th-grade STUCO students during some lunch periods and flex. They will play games and more to get to know each other. The goal is that 6th graders will have friends in other grades who will help them when they don’t know something.
*Stuco has bought microwaves for the cafeteria. Rules are being made to ensure that microwaves are used properly and do not break. The microwaves will be in the cafeteria soon after the rules are made and shared with students.
*A Hawaiian Christmas door decorating contest is also beginning as a way to promote the winter dance. The contest will be taking place from November 29th to December 13th. Winners will be announced on December 15th and prizes will be awarded, including crafts and candy canes. Eisenhower and The Junior High will be included in the contest.
*STUCO is also sponsoring a Winter Dance. This year’s winter dance will have a Hawaiian theme. The day of the dance will be December 16th. More information on the dance will be coming out soon.
*STUCO is working on stopping bullying.Student Council sent out surveys for bullying and now are working on finding a solution.
As you can see, STUCO has been working hard to promote a positive environment in the school. STUCO is making sure that they do the best for our school with these things and more in the future.